Practice Visit Detail Aids
An evidence base exists supporting the impact of academic detailing on behavioural change, particularly prescribing behaviour.
If you would like to learn more about putting this technique into practice, the following articles may prove useful.
- Soumerai SB, Avorn J. Principles of education outreach (‘academic detailing’) to improve clinical decision making. JAMA 1990;263:549-56
- Thompson O’Brien MA, Oxman AD, Davis DA et al. Outreach visits to improve health professional practice and health. Care outcomes (Cochrane review). In: The Cochrane Library. Oxford: Update Software; 1999
- Ilet KF, Johnson S, Greenhill G et al. Modification of general practitioner prescribing of antibiotics by use of a therapeutics advisor (academic detailer). Br J Clin Pharmacol 2000;49:168-73
- Soloman DH, Van Houten L, Glynn RJ et al. Academic detailing to improve antibiotic use of broad-spectrum antibiotics at an academic medical centre. Arch Inter Med 2001;161:1897-1902.
- Freemantle N, Nazareth I, Eccles M et al. A randomised controlled trial of the effect of education outreach by community pharmacists on prescribing UK general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2002;52:290-5
The materials provided in this section are designed to support this method of intervention.